"SEPTA" sounds like "septic"

I'm referring to the bizarre amalgam of subway/bus/trolley/streetcar that is the Philadelphia public transport system. I have never seen such deserted subway stations. I half expected Patrick Swayze from "Ghost" to show up or Keanu Reeves from "The Matrix" in their respective subway station scenes.

I guess it's a reflection of Philadelphia itself that public transport is relatively underused, or perhaps it's my having become accustomed to the madness of New York and Boston that makes it seem ghost-town-like. The street-level trolleys are kind of cute and do seem relatively popular. I ventured out to "West Philly" the other night for dinner and a drink with friends. It was a surprisingly beautiful neighborhood with grand houses that at one time housed the wealthy but are now divided among paycheck-to-paycheck young adult tenants.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Are Human

The Clear Light of Day

Trimming the Fat