Nixon-ish

I believe it's Mike Huckabee (what an "aw shucks!" kind of name) who lost over 100 pounds and appeared, nervous as all get-out, on The Colbert Report awhile back to try to inject some adrenaline (or, in Colbert's case, testosterone) into his campaign.

He reminds me of Richard Nixon on some level--I'm not sure if it's the nervous squirmy-ness or a more physical resemblance. He made some really awkward jokes on the show, probably because of his nerves, but he seems really out of touch, as if behind a shell of "I'm trying my darndest to appear like how I think I should look."

He strikes me as disingenous and lacking in confidence, much like the rascally Nixon. I liked how Helen Thomas put it (and just about everything else) in her recent interview with the ever-jovial and somewhat annoyingly tepid Tim Russert, that Nixon took the wrong turn at every single opportunity. That goes with my overall perception of Nixon as an almost tragic figure; hopelessly out of touch with no clue how to get in touch. I think he was supremely insecure and deeply resentful of others, which is probably what led him to break the law.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Are Human

The Clear Light of Day

Trimming the Fat