Long Day's Journey into Ohio

I sat down for lunch at O'Hare airport with two guys and got one of them into Obama! And one of them informally offered me a job in Boston. But it's in food service :-(.

An interesting day. I was trying to draw a guy from Kentucky into a conversation about Obama (heaven forbid I begin to remind myself of a door-to-door religion salesperson), only to learn he's voting for Huckabee! Shocking. But, he wants to go into business and earn a lot of money, so I supposed Huckabee would be his man. And I hear, too, that Huckabee is charismatic, knows his stuff, and can work a room. Sort of like a cherubic Reagan. Sort of.

I'm here at Miami University (not in Florida) in Oxford (not in England), Ohio, in a beautiful house with a nice young woman who's offered to put me up through Wednesday. I felt very grown-up as I rented a car for the first time by myself, and wandered through the dark night around Cincinatti and through several small towns onto a two-lane highway until I finally reached Oxford.

Who knows what tomorrow brings! I am meeting our campaign organizer at 10:30am and I think we'll be canvassing. I've really been practicing my salesmanship skills throughout the day, casually drawing folks into conversation and bringing the topic around eventually to politics. I like it! It reminds me of the caucusing process at Model United Nations.

The buzz around Obama continues to grow. This truly is a phenomenon, not just about one man. I've heard Republicans and people on the right say they're voting for Obama (some of them), while some have just admitted that they like him and while they're tempted, it's a "no."

On to bed. It was a long day filled with [seemingly] many airports, airplanes, terminals, interminable recorded announcements, sitting in cramped airplane seats, wandering aimlessly around terminals looking for a place to plug my laptop in (dropping it in the process). It's nice to be in one place for a week, even if it's cold and the people and architecture and layout and everything is so different. Haven't decided what I think yet. It's not quite the South, yet it's not quite the Midwest. Hmmm...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Are Human

The Clear Light of Day

Trimming the Fat