The Oscars

Best Actress:

Charlize Theron will not win because no one saw "North Country", no one cares about it, and she already had her big Oscar moment and has yet to find another award-worthy role. By the way, what was up with "North Country"? It seemed like an "Erin Brokovich" remake, and I didn't like "Erin" to begin with. Plus, that "tough woman challenging the male-dominated system" is such an overdone subgenre.

Judi Dench will not win because she's already won so many awards and there are other, more "relevant" actresses nominated who are just coming into their own. Plus, her film is too new and has had no time to acquire "Oscar buzz".

I would love for Keira Knightley to win, just because I'm crazy about her, but she will lose to Reese Witherspoon because she's too young, too new to the scene, and her role just wasn't "meaty" enough for an Oscar win. I can't wait to see her dress, though I did not like her Globes dress. White is fine, but not the decoration on the front.

Reese Witherspoon may win, because she's been waiting in the wings for quite awhile, and has finally found that Oscar-worthy role, which, incidentally, is the first role of hers I've actually liked. I can't shake the feeling that there's something slightly annoying about her, though her husband Ryan Phillippe is gorgeous and apparently crazy about her. Maybe it's because she has little aesthetic imagination--her dresses seem pedestrian and earthbound, somehow. However, I think she has amazing bone structure.

Felicity Huffman is Reese's only strong competition, and I can see her winning just as easily, since she's been such a juggernaut ever since winning her first Golden Globe for "Desperate Housewives" a year ago. Not to mention her recent win for "Transamerica" at the Globes. Reese may still have the edge, though, because she's been on the mainstream film scene longer and more prominently than Huffman, and her overall body of work seems more "deserving" of it.

I just love that the "plainest" of the Housewives (Huffman) is getting the most critical attention and accolades.

Best Actor

I want Heath Ledger to win, hands-down. He's probably the sentimental favorite, but Philip Seymour Hoffman has been cleaning up at awards shows up till now. I thought he was brilliant--spookily so--in Capote, but I've followed his career for years and am not surprised at all. I like him in "Boogie Nights" and "Happiness," among others.

I think very highly of David Strathairn but he won't win because the role wasn't "meaty" enough and he because he hasn't been high-profile enough. Saw him on Broadway; really handsome guy who chooses interesting roles for himself.

I loved Joaquin Phoenix in "Walk the Line," but again, Heath and Philip Seymour Hoffman's performances eclipse all the other nominees. And what on earth is up with Terence Howard for "Hustle and Flow"? It was a tolerable film, nothing more. He gave a good performance, but I don't know why he was chosen over a number of other possible nominees.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Are Human

The Clear Light of Day

Trimming the Fat