The Wedding Industry

A really annoying, high-strung, nightmare kind of bride-to-be is seated at the table next to me with her fiancé and some kind of wedding planner, who as an older, heterosexual man looks like the last person one would expect to be a wedding planner. She reminds me of those happy-go-lucky types who have never had anything go wrong in their lives. She has a big wedding binder organized by color, section, notes, stickers, etc., in front of her and is wearing a cutsey little white fluffy skirt and is accessorized like something out of an expensive boutique.

It's just so irritating. These days I can't stand that kind of naïvete. I feel so angry at every person walking down the street who looks remotely normal because I'm coming to terms with what happened to me. I feel like staring each one of them down. I just know too much about why people marry, how often they marry for the wrong reasons and regret it, etc. The odds that this couple will be a happy couple for the next 50 years is pretty slim, though I wish them well.

Actually, this "wedding planner" just might be a rabbi. They're talking about elements of a Jewish wedding ceremony. Anyway, I just think that people who haven't had their lives ruined and suffered needlessly for years are full of sh*t and may as well be aliens to me.

There's an equally annoying young woman seated across from me, with another cute, put-together outfit; the kind I used to wear before getting sick. What a crock. I'll never believe in appearances again because I know how little they're worth and how easily they're taken away. How little others know, sometimes. This woman has such a perky, insincere manner about her, as if everything is fine and will be fine. What does she know about anything?

I do like this cafe, though. The wedding planning table next to me just reminds me of the enormous wedding industry, which is such a capitalist thing to do. I don't want a ridiculous, stressful, over-the-top wedding. Good quality but not too much fuss. The centerpieces don't need to match the bridesmaids' dresses or anything like that, for Pete's sake.

I'm waiting for my smog check appointment, which hopefully will go well. I've never been to this service station before, but the fact that they've been in business since 1920 and are located in a decent part of town is encouraging.

I've decided to stick with my silly mail and copy center job for the summer, because it seems wrong to jump ship halfway through for an internship I may or may not like, that may or may not pay anything. Plus I just didn't like the guy I was supposed to interview with today, and didn't like the website as much as I had when I applied. I think it's time to be more selective and focus on a fall internship rather than a summer internship, and of course, a real job, but I'm really not finding anything I'm qualified for, yet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Are Human

The Clear Light of Day

Trimming the Fat