Shiny, Happy Americans

I find it fascinating how most other cultures don't value cheerful, quick smiles the way we do. I think of us as "shiny, happy Americans" sometimes. I feel like other cultures, such as European ones, are much older than we are and have suffered wars and trauma a LOT more than we have. In that sense, we're a bit like historical virgins--we haven't been invaded over and over for centuries, known devastating plagues, had a religious civil war, etc.

I think we're a teenage nation, and we're entering a new phase of being tested. I think the potential threats facing us now are the largest we've faced--although I wasn't around during the Cold War, granted, but we have so many enemies who seem willing to destroy us now.

I wonder if this is a test we will not pass. Bush, in my opinion, continues to go against the grain, this time in the form of supporting Israel. I think it's a huge mistake to continue to alienate the rest of the world when they already hate us so much. I cannot fathom what Bush is thinking or who in his administration comes up with this policy. Condi or Cheney, perhaps?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Are Human

The Clear Light of Day

Trimming the Fat