I Have Bigger Fish to Fry

no, I'm not talking about Cajun cuisine in New Orleans, but about my current financial situation.

Annual income of $9000 on disabilty; cannot work to supplement it because I would lose Medicare.

Can no longer pay minimum on credit cards, which I have been using to supplement my income, since the last time I checked, the cost of living in the Bay Area was not amenable to a $9000 income.

One credit card has a balance of $5900, which was my tax bill for last year. I had no other way to pay it. I sold stock at a loss, and only the sale was recognized, not the loss, so I was stuck with a $6000 bill on a yearly income of $9000. Bush's tax breaks have been so helpful to people in my situation.

To top it all off, I had been eligible for $21,000 in Cal Grants, but was denied because I didn't qualify. How could I not have qualified on a declared income for 2005 of $100, and a GPA of 3.9? Thanks a lot for your help, US and California governments.

Two of my APRs have skyrocketed to 20% and 23%, respectively. I had always prided myself on low APRs. I may have missed a single payment, which is the only reason I can think of why this would have happened.

So I'm not sure what to do. I could get a job over the summer, rather than an internship, which would almost definitely be more interesting than a job, but then I risk losing my benefits. Also, any amount I could earn this summer would barely put a dent in my debt.

I don't think declaring bankruptcy is an option.

Suggestions?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Are Human

The Clear Light of Day

Trimming the Fat