I cannot BELIEVE we've been at "war" for four years now

it's funny how they still call these things wars, when they are not, in the traditional sense.

I guess World War II was the last time Congress officially declared war on another country, and the Department of Defense became the Department of War.

I don't know; maybe it started with Korea, where we were not at war against Korea, I don't think; but we were trying to "help" a segment of the population or government against a threat?

With Vietnam, that was the case. We were no longer fighting countries, we were facing non-state entities, in this case, the North Vietnamese Army. We saw them as a Communist threat, and I guess Kissinger or someone felt it must be contained. Johnson I think said something about that.

Then we had little conflicts like Nicaragua and Panama that I don't know much about, that certainly were not official wars because much of the action was conducted secretly, I believe. More like a "military operation" than a war.

I wonder if this shift will stay this way; with the al-Qaeda dynamic it seems that we're shifting away from fighting nation-states to fighting groups of individuals that transcend state boundaries.


"Thousands Around Globe Call for End of War"

By JOSEPH B. FRAZIER, Associated Press Writer

The third anniversary of the U.S.-led war in Iraq drew tens of thousands of protesters around the globe, from Portland to hurricane-ravaged Louisiana to Australia, with chants of "Stop the War" and calls for the withdrawal of troops.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Are Human

The Clear Light of Day

Trimming the Fat