The PLO Snowboarders Versus the Mossad Ski Team

The hostility between skiers and snowboarders, who vie for the same turf, literally, reminds me of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Two competing interests both feel equally entitled to the same piece of land. The conflict is ideological in nature: one side thinks it is better than the other, and that's about it. There is no solution in sight!

I feel bored and restless. The semester's almost over, which is good, and I'm looking into getting a job. Starbucks has actually crossed my mind, and there's an interesting position on campus I may apply for, but that brings up the disability issue. Once I'm off SSDI, I'm off and responsible for taking care of myself, which is frightening. I'm not sure if I want to get off of disability before I graduate or not. On the other side, I LOVE the idea of having spending power and control over paying down my debt which has been a headache for years.

I can't wait for the holiday season. I'd like to get a job, but retail during the holidays is insane, plus I'd be new and have to train...unless I could do catering at the Stanford Faculty Club or even a private catering company...do tutoring, hmmm...

I am going to visit baby Kate down in SoCal at some point over the break, and Amina has an exhibit in Cairo, which would be awesome to go to, and maybe I could use one of Ryan's "buddy passes," which are just $30 per segment, but getting to Cairo that way could be tough. It's quite a long shot; I know that. Only three weeks of classes left, thankfully, and many of those have been cancelled. Next week is the first week I won't have a full course schedule since the semester started.

There's a lot of sickness going around here, and I'm scared, since I'm one of the only people who hasn't gotten it yet (knock on wood). Monday I register for classes, FOR THE LAST TIME, Tuesday there are flu shots at Cowell (must remember to deposit checks before then). No class Tuesday, no 10am class on Wednesday or Friday; and, after this week, no more Lawson classes!

I saw "Babel" tonight, and it was...interesting. Didn't really have an ending, but the rest of it was interesting and engaging. I ate both popcorn and candy and feel gross. I'm going home once a week from now till the end of the semester for various reasons (doctor's appointments, Thanksgiving, etc.). Must remember to reschedule Dr. Ketter, my favorite Canadian, leprechaun-like psychiatrist.

I can't wait to have a real job, and I'm trying to have faith that whatever I do will earn enough money for me to be independent, pay off my debt, and have some quality of life. I'm hanging with my "peeps," my girls, my "b*tches," Lorian and Brenna down here in the rec room, with the heater on and the tv tuned to SNL. It rained last night, and the air is cool and crisp and clean. Smells like autumn, cause it is!

"The truth hurts. Fortunately for America... I'm a masochist. This is The Colbert Report!" --Stephen Colbert

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Are Human

The Clear Light of Day

Trimming the Fat