The Tide is Turning

I hardly dare to hope that things might change for the better--that Hilary Clinton or Barack Obama, or even John McCain could be president in two years--but the Dems have the House, so I'm starting to hope. I'm afraid we won't get the Senate, though.

In other news...Diana's long-winded and occasionally intelligible armchair commentary:

If the majority of Californians do not smoke, why is the tax on cigarettes currently going down to defeat?
Why has Prop 87, the alternative energy prop, been defeated so soundly? That is very disappointing.

And, a pro-education measure went down to defeat locally, and I'd like to know why people complain about the plight of education but aren't willing to pay for improvements? If it doesn't come from tax money, where does it come from?

The perfect storm of Jon Stewart's and my boy Stephen Colbert's shows is taking shape; I must adjourn.

Comments

Ryan and Britt said…
Diana,

In regards to your comment about Prop 87, you’re right—it’s too bad. I can see the point that many people made about it creating another bureaucracy, but who doesn't want clean air and energy independence? I think the answer has to be something that achieves the same goals but is more fiscally responsible. Check out the nu-NRG Plan at www.nu-nrg.org which does exactly that.

Popular posts from this blog

We Are Human

The Clear Light of Day

Trimming the Fat