Even Though Things are Really Different This Year

I'm still in love with the camaraderie here. It's just like family--dinner is over, we're all "home" in our rooms, in the hall, in other people's rooms, going about our business. Hunter comes back from running an errand, Amina is taking a break from the madness of her paper on the front steps, Brenna just came in to talk. This is rare and precious; I won't have many opportunities like this once I'm out of school.

I'm here in my comfy Ikea "study chair" and people wander in as they please to study or talk. Lorien is upset over the cultural relativism in a particular book she's reading. Halie wandered in to see how I'm doing with my paper--she and I and Amina and Sara are all in the same class and agonizing over the same assignment due tomorrow. Misrak took a bunch of people out for Ethiopian food and I don't know if they're back yet. She said she'd bring leftovers! Yum!

I know this is precious and I don't take it for granted. Karuna just came in, looking exhausted from a long day at her internship or crew practice or one of her many commitments. The girl across the hall, whom I still haven't met, has her boyfriend over. Halie is trying to find someone to go cross-country with; she's driving the car of a friend of hers out to the East Coast and flying back. Bridget sent us some chocolate and it's sitting in a bowl in Halie's room.

Come to think of it, this paper is very long, and mine needs a lot of editing and organizing. I'd better get going. I still need more review for my midterm tomorrow. It's in-class, so I have to memorize everything. Not very satisfied with my study skills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Are Human

The Clear Light of Day

Trimming the Fat