Grinning and [Un]Bearing It

Why do assignments get harder and harder to finish the closer i get to completing them? Is this another academic law of physics, the way an event horizon describes entering and trying to escape the Mills campus? Heck, if the Monroe Doctrine is going to talk about the inevitability of Cuba falling under the control of the US due to political gravity (please note that political gravity--both kinds--cannot extend as far as Mesopotamia), I can certainly describe the atmosphere around here in Einsteinian terms.

[Anna Nicole Smith has hired Elvis Presley's coroner to perform the autopsy on her son. Could she have chosen anyone else? It's a match made in tabloid heaven.]

I have quite a bit of work to do; it almost feels like high school again. I'm very willing to do it, but stepping up the pace is taking some getting used to. I had planned to go to Gaylord's tonight, but after cramming all weekend and being up half the night for my midterm this morning and paper that was due, plus sitting through four classes with only 20 minutes for lunch, I couldn't get myself to leave my room. That was just fine, it turned out, since the hall became very congenial and several people stopped in to say hello after dinner.

I want to continue my education, I'm not sure in what, yet. Maybe a Master's in political science? We'll see. I definitely know that I don't feel nearly "educated enough" yet. A friend jokes about being told that he's been educated "beyond his intelligence." That's what I want!

One of the women in our hall has the "Super Mario Brothers" video game. I should probably move to a deserted island to avoid falling under its spell. Don't worry, I won't take the gravity analogy any further.

It made me feel good today when Ms. Mehta inquired why I wasn't planning to take French next semester, and became surprisingly upset when she learned that next semester is my last. It's nice to feel liked and appreciated, which I really am around here. It means the world. I can laugh more and be more congenial now that I'm on less seroquel. I feel more "part of the crowd." It feels really good. I actually smile and laugh a fair amount these days, much more than last year. I feel more secure and that I've let go of some of the burdens I'd been carrying around in the form of resentments and scars with regard to having bipolar.

My op-ed piece comes out this week! And, you can read it on the internet! I'll add it to my links list on the right. Thanks for reading, as always!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Are Human

The Clear Light of Day

Trimming the Fat