In Summary

A good day turned into a great day when jen called with news of little Kate. So weird to hear the voice of my best friend, whom i've known all my life, describing her experience delivering her baby. Just amazing. I've never been this close to anyone who's given birth before. i can't wait to get down there to meet kate and help out the exhausted parents! jen said that when the doctor gave kate to alan, he just melted; that kate is a daddy's girl already. Alan is amazing. his family was there, and jen's mom was too. i assume scott will fly in at some point. How amazing. We've all known each other since we were practically kate's age (feels that way). but i remember being kids together and going through the phases of development together, and now we'll get to watch kate as she goes through those same stages, with all of us around her. it's just too much to think about right now. so incredibly meaningful. I just can't wait. I can't think of anything happier than the birth of a much loved, much anticipated baby. Such pure happiness.

I remember hearing a woman at an Al-Anon meeting (i think) talking about her life experience. she started by saying that she was born to "parents who wanted her." I just about blanched, since it had never occurred to me that anyone's parents wouldn't want them. it's nauseating to think about. I know how loved jen and scott and i were, and how our families closed ranks around us and allowed us to grow and flourish into the people we are today. All that I have I received then.

It's been a rough ride, but graduation is so close and with it the rest of my life. I'm going to be the best pseudo-aunt in the world to little kate! So much love. My mom and I will talk tomorrow.

In other news, I took the Mills van to Berkeley for the first time, and met halie there, and spoke to bridget on the phone! quite an eventful day. Such happiness, in the pit of my stomach and my heart, radiating outwards.

After a satisfactory dinner at Founder's, complete with discussion of love at first sight, the meaning of god, and the meaning of love, we took an excursion to Albertson's, and then Brenna, Misrak and I watched "Bend it like Beckham" and snl. halie and amina went to an off campus party.

I'm sitting here with the silence of my two ticking clocks, listening to tires screech outside the campus, in the anarchy of Oakland. the occasional door in the hallway slams; fortunately the person above me has stopped tossing furniture around. She's made more noise this semester than i heard all of last semester from that room.

It's that quiet stage in the night, when activity has stopped but before it resumes again. people keep complimenting my room, which is very nice, but i'm still not done. a couple more trips to ikea should do it. it's all white (off-white, really) with touches of green linens and art and brown wooden furniture. i installed bamboo shades myself, and figured out how to make a curtain rod using a shower rod from ikea, two brackets from the coathooks in my closet, together with remains of brackets near the top of the blinds. i also figured out how to make a curtain separating the door from the rest of my room using another ikea shower rod and two brackets from other ikea furniture, attached with nails in holes that were already above the door. i'll replace them with sturdier coathooks when i have the chance. i took a curtain panel from the "free pile" in the laundry room to cover the sink area when i'm not using it, as an extension of the other curtain rod.

Three photographs of the Sahara desert, two of green leaves, and my Moroccan-style mirror will adorn one side of my bedroom, with more green foliage photography from Ikea for the other side. Several plants, and that should do it!

Comments

QUASAR9 said…
Thanks for inviting me
to a preview of your room

Sahara desert - peaceful expanse
Green leaves - full of life
Morroccan mirror - exotic promise

Here's looking at you
loving you ^ smiling bacj at you
Wishing you a lovely Sunday!!!
Diana said…
thanks, quasar, happy sunday to you too; except in your time zone, it's probably monday by now!

Popular posts from this blog

We Are Human

The Clear Light of Day

Trimming the Fat