Fact and Faith

I have never met as many fundamentalist Christians as I have at Mills (well, I'd never met any before coming here). What frightens me the most is the conscious decision on the part of some to ignore fact, and the refusal of some adherents to even discuss or explain their views. I never thought that fact and faith were mutually exclusive, but for some, they are. I see no conflict between evolution and creationism, because for me, creationism is metaphorical, not literal. The whole point of a "higher education" is to become critical and learn to ask questions and be skeptical of what appears to be immediately obvious or "a given."

Another problem I have with some creationists is that they don't even understand and cannot explain the science they're trying to refute. In my not-always-humble opinion, religious fundamentalism is a form of ignorance and intransigence. Intransigence and faith aren't the same; faith should always be open and flexible, otherwise it isn't faith. Faith that ignores fact isn't faith, it's blindness. Putting blinders on and having faith are also not the same thing. Intransigence, ignorance, and willful blindness are fear-based, while faith is the antithesis of fear. Believing that things will get better while in the midst of adversity is faith; hope that the facts will change--or that they aren't facts to start with--is not faith.

On a related note, I'd like to hear Tom Cruise's neurobiological explanation for why mental illness doesn't exist, down to the last neurotransmitter and ion. I would like for him to refute "science" by publishing his own scholarly article, in "science's" language (meaning big words that are spelled funny) as to why vitamins are better at treating mental illness than psychotropic medications are.

I'm "blogging" in my "study chair." I'm sure that's blasphemous in some part of the world (namely mine).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Are Human

The Clear Light of Day

Trimming the Fat