Bird Flu; Bird Schmu?

If it isn't SARS, it's mad cow. If it isn't mad cow, it's the bird flu.

With the on-the-brink-of-hysteria mood the media projects onto almost every story, it's very difficult for me to tell what is actually a realistic threat and what isn't.

It seems to me that we were just as worried about SARS a few years back as we are about bird flu now, and it all came to naught.

On the other hand, I don't know enough about infectious diseases to look at the raw data and reach my own conclusion about the flu. I did hear that the 1918 pandemic originated from a bird, though, from someone on NPR, which usually has decent sources.

Between terror attacks, a worldwide bird flu pandemic, cancer, and daily violence in Oakland, there's enough to worry about that I won't even bother. It feels a bit like being an insect squashed on a windshield.

[by the way, thanks to the people leaving comments on this post for clearing up some of my mis-information!]

Comments

Anonymous said…
I think part of the reason people freak out about the new flu-like diseases is because I've heard in science circles that we're ripe for another devastating flu pandemic. Something about the world having a history of a really bad one every 60-80 years. But hey, I'm young & healthy so I'm not worried. ;)
Anonymous said…
Not to pick nits, but SARS was a "bird flu." Just about all really bad flus are bird flus. I can explain, but it's technical and most people would be bored to tears.

I get your point though, and it's a good one.
Diana said…
(feel free to be as technical as you wish with your explanations; i find it interesting)

Popular posts from this blog

We Are Human

The Clear Light of Day

Trimming the Fat