I Went to Harvard, and All I Got Was This Stupid...

No, not t-shirt. This actually is not a complaint; more of a lament, perhaps, but definitely good news.

No, seriously, I did spend a summer at Harvard one year and I came home with several Harvard t-shirts. Well worth the tuition (!).

What I learned at Harvard kept me alive for years; it was the flame beneath my bunsen burner (or fondue pot, or insert your own metaphor!) during all those years with with the illness, without any answers, and with no hope. It taught me about who I am, and I came back feeling validated for the first time. I liked myself, and I found others who liked me for who I was. I belonged; I was no longer "different."

These are invaluable lessons, and they have nothing to do with the "prestige" of the Harvard name.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Are Human

The Clear Light of Day

Trimming the Fat