The [Satin] Gloves are Coming Off!

It's time to join the ranks (temporarily) of the scathing reviews of Oscars, Grammys, and Golden Globes attire. Joan and Melissa Rivers, stand back!

This award season, Geena Davis' dreadful red get-up at the Golden Globes takes the gold for worst dressed, in my opinion.

Felicity Huffman always looks nice, to me. She's very classy and never tries to look 20 years younger than she is.

I had a mixed reaction to Teri Hatcher's rock n roll dark lacy outfit with the knickers underneath at the Grammys. Part of me loved it, part of me thinks she's way too mature to carry off something like that. It fit beautifully and was a great color for her, but I'm not sure anyone much over 30 should be that see-through. I would have toned down the makeup and accessories, if I were in her. Maybe she feels threatened by all the attention Eva Longoria is getting.

Gwyneth Paltrow is one of my all-time fashion favorites, but her frumpy dress at the Globes mystified. As a young mom, she's probably not worried as much about her "image," which I admire, but even so, frills are definitely not my cup of tea.

Eva Longoria is certainly beautiful, but I'm getting tired of her in-your-face-i'm-so-famous-now schtick.

Gwen Stefani is another of my style icon favorites, and she carried off her outfit very well at the Grammys, sporting her pregnant little tummy under a loose-fitting gown.

Angelina Jolie can be striking, but she needs to start thinking about wearing underwear to fancy events. Sometimes, less isn't more.

Halle Berry looks fantastic. Always. She's classy and wears stuff that's beautiful and fits perfectly. Always.

Helena Bonham Carter is one of the most beautiful actresses out there. I love her bone structure.

I also like Keira Knightley, but I was not "wowed" by her Globes dress--the simple white one with the butterfly on the front.

Kate Winslet has struggled with her weight over the years, and I'm not sure I like how thin she's gotten. But, she usually makes very pretty choices that fit well.

The simpler, the better, unless you're Nicole Kidman, who has enough height to carry off just about anything. Her pale green dress from many years ago at the Oscars is one of my all time favorites.

Celine Dion's backward-suit choice w/the fedora was a disgrace for Karl Lagerfeld (who I believe designed it).

Drew Barrymore should also not go without underwear at awards shows. Ever. Did anyone see her green dress at the Globes this year? Good color, atrocious fit. She's usually a little too casual at award shows, in my opinion.

Kate Hudson's outfit looked dreadful, as did her hair, the year she was nominated for Best Supporting Actress.

Goldie Hawn usually looks nice in simple, strapless, monochromatic gowns.

Guys pretty much have to wear ties. Period. And no loose, unkempt hair or weird jewelry. Please.

Renee Zellweger looks great in Carolina Herrera.

I LOVED Hilary Swank's olive green strapless gown the first time she won for Best Actress at the Oscars.

Charlie Theron tends to make good choices, I think, but she's so tall and lanky she has an advantage. Her custom made peach Vera Wang gown several years ago was awesome, though she used too much bronzer the year she won for Best Actress at the Oscars and tried to do a Jean Harlow look, which she almost carried off.

Chloe Sevigny has peculiar taste but it somehow works for me.

Catherine Zeta-Jones looks mesmerizing in almost anything, particularly deep red.

Melanie Griffith, stop it. Just stop it. Stop trying to look younger each year with increasingly bizarre plastic surgery.

I cannot wait to see what Steve Carell wears! Hopefully nothing too flouncy. I also can't wait to hear his schpiel as he introduces one of the award categories.

Leave Bjork alone. She isn't trying to look like everyone else, so she can't possibly have failed at it.

Do not accompany Donald Trump anywhere. What are the odds his current wife did not marry him for his money? You could not pay me to marry a man who looks like that.

Jennifer Lopez had much more modest taste before she was famous. She should also look into wearing undergarments to awards shows.

Marcia Gay Harden was spectacular in simple burgundy satin when she won for Pollack, and Kim Basinger was also beautiful when she won her Oscar for L.A. Confidential.

Ziyi Zhang looked like an angel at the Globes this year, in a similar green color as Nicole Kidman wore to the Oscars years ago. I'm telling you, she's the next Gong Li!

Cameron Diaz: Hire and use a stylist, please. Enough already with the free-spirit, do your own accessories outfits.

Sidney Poitier and his family are one big, fat, class-act. Love it.

Christopher Walken can wear whatever he wants and carry it off since he's so nutty to begin with. That is a compliment.

Adrien Brody: Invite me along sometime?

If you don't have it, don't flaunt it!

Somehow Cate Blanchett carried off that pale yellow with burgundy sash frock at the Oscars a year or two ago. I do not know how.

I loved Teri Hatcher's lavendar Donna Karan gown at the Emmys during the first season of "Housewives"!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Are Human

The Clear Light of Day

Trimming the Fat