"Who's on First?"

Watching baseball with my dad, pizza in the oven. One of the only circumstances under which I'll watch baseball is with my dad, during the World Series (or if the Phillies are playing, his hometown team). Got new tires, was so tired driving home i forgot to notice if they felt different; they're quite fancy and a good price, too. MUCH more tread than the old ones. I should probably start paying attention to things like that (Chara saved us when a piece of my wheel well broke off on I-5 as we drove north--if she hadn't been there, I'd probably have had to call AAA and wait there in the dark, on the side of the scary highway in the middle of nowhere for hours or some nonsense. She actually walked over to the driver's side of the car--the one right by the 80mph vehicles--figured out what was wrong, and fixed it. Such a bad-*ss!).

It's actually good to watch baseball; I enjoy it. When my friend Seth and I were traveling in Montana, we went to a minor league game, which was fun. He said it had lots of "local color," referring not to skin tone, of course, but local, small-town Montana culture. Speaking of Montana, the governor of Montana was on "The Colbert Report" the other night. Quite a jovial guy. My dad spent time in rural Montana, and makes fun of how folks used to speak there. When he first got there, he was pulled over by the highway patrol. My dad couldn't imagine what he had done wrong. It turns out the officer simply wanted to welcome him to the state of Montana!

My dad worked for the Shell Oil Company, surveying elevations in Montana to help the company figure out where to drill for oil. The US Geological Survey was responsible for mapping the entire United States. My dad worked for them, too, in Montana.

Costello: Well then who's on first?
Abbott: Yes.
Costello: I mean the fellow's name.
Abbott: Who.
Costello: The guy on first.
Abbott: Who.
Costello: The first baseman.
Abbott: Who.
Costello: The guy playing...
Abbott: Who is on first!
Costello: I'm asking YOU who's on first.
Abbott: That's the man's name.
Costello: That's who's name?
Abbott: Yes.
Costello: Well go ahead and tell me.
Abbott: That's it.
Costello: That's who?
Abbott: Yes.

[an excerpt from Abbot and Costello's famous routine, from the Baseball Almanac]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Are Human

The Clear Light of Day

Trimming the Fat