Ryan's in Town!

I've spent much of this weekend by myself, studying in my room. I could really use some solitude after all these years of avoiding the self, and doing homework is a very productive way to accomplish that. It doesn't take long to feel lonely, though, which is why it brightened my spirits so tremendously to hear from Ryan Calloway, who will be in town all day tomorrow! We're going to try to get together for dinner, which should be perfect. I'll probably take him to Fenton's, which I'm sure he'll love, or maybe we can go have drinks at his hotel and feel like grown-ups.

Ben is so funny. He just had a birthday, and says he thinks adulthood is just an illusion because no matter how much older he gets, he still doesn't feel like an adult. I agree with him, and think it might actually be a generational thing--that things are so different for our generation that the line between youth and adulthood is quite blurred. Actually, because I lost my teens and most of my twenties to the illness, I plan on being youthful and silly for the rest of my life (with an underlying bit of maturity, unfortunately :-)).

Tomorrow the madness of a new week begins. I'm loving it, I have to say. I got a lot done today--I did laundry and cleaned my room, and got lots of homework accomplished. I got halfway through "Loukoum" for Letters class, went through about 40 pages of "Grève des battu" (lots of dictionary looking-up, which is why it takes so long), edited my Syria notes and read a scholarly article on the philosophy of Islamist groups in Syria...Now I'm blogging away in bed before I fall asleep. I can't wait for my classes tomorrow--the congeniality of the 10am class with its interesting subject matter--last week was the 1973 coup in Chile, I'm not sure about this week--Ms. Mehta's amazing lectures in the 11am and 1pm classes, plus a big dose of Iraqi politics in Mr. Lawson's 2:30pm class. Then I call Ryan and we hang out! I must do my Ethiopia research tomorrow night, however, so I can get my one-page summary in on Tuesday. That's the schedule I've set for myself; no opportunity to get behind.

I'd like to say hello to everyone from my Government classes who are reading this blog. And, we should all go see that new movie about Idi Amin--we can get depressed and cry together about how depressing Uganda's recent history has been! Field trip!

It's nice to have my room so clean. I lengthened the curtain rod for my door curtains so one end can be used to hang towels and other damp laundry items. Halie and I studied together tonight, each in our Ikea chairs. Felt very Swedish. Brenna's back from her weekend, Tamah just trooped in, looking exhausted from what I presume to be her shift at Suzie's, the girl across the hall and her boyfriend arrived, Eden's boyfriend Chris has been here all weekend. They look so happy! Amina and Misrak stopped in briefly, too. We're golden.

Oh, and I'm going home on Thursday! I get to see Dr. Anhalt and sleep in my own bed. Lorien and her new friend forcibly extracted a lone, hapless "Desperate Housewives" viewer from the rec room to watch "Children of a Lesser God." As happy as I am here (most of the time), I am so ready to move on with my life, meet people my own age, etc. A sense a new growth spurt is in the offing. I'll be ready when it happens.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Are Human

The Clear Light of Day

Trimming the Fat