"What's Up in Our Nation's Pants?"

I'm laughing at my own joke, which probably isn't very cool. Nevertheless, Jon Stewart on "the Daily Show" last night had a segment mocking the Republican leadership's handling (or not handling) of the Foley scandal, and I adapted its title here for my own amusement.

Another funny moment of Jon's was when he lampooned some dreadful schmuck of a congressman who claimed (or was it Pat Buchanan?) that all gay senators are also pedophiles, or that a cabal of gay men runs Congress, or something equally offensive, in a segment he titled "Opus Gaye." There was more to it than that, but I like the irony of turning a Catholic (quasi-Catholic?) institution title into a gay one.

In other celluloid news, "Project Runway" is reaching its climax, with the intrigue building and accusations flying. I'm sure there's a formula that describes how much television should be watched per hour spent in class or per hour studying, for example, to provide adequate "zone out" time. Kudos to those who can relax in ways other than watching television.

Lots of sickness going around the school. I've taken "Airborne" several times and am going home tomorrow, much to my relief.

Mr. Lawson has given me an article in French about the sorry state of the Syrian economy to translate. I love opportunities to get involved like this and wish there were more of them here. I'm amazed at how simplistic the article is--I was expecting it to be the French language equivalent of many of these quasi-painful treatises on political economy thrown at us in courses like this, but it's remarkably straightforward.

I've also been informed that British actor Hugh Laurie (from "House") will be hosting Saturday Night Live in two weeks, which just might make it worth watching. I also have it on good authority that the "EF" program is being phased out, which is the right direction for the college to take, in my opinion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Are Human

The Clear Light of Day

Trimming the Fat