Mayhem in Oakland

When isn't there something dangerous/illegal going on in Oakland? On my way to BART to pick up Ryan, I zoomed through the really sketchy neighborhoods south of Mills on the way to International Boulevard and San Leandro near the Coliseum. Makes me so nervous. Getting close to the major streets, I noticed that the gates were down at a railroad crossing with the red lights flashing. Cars were taking turns weaving in between the gates and over the tracks, from both directions! Turns out the gates got stuck in the "down" position so buses couldn't get through and cars had to take turns. Very bizarre. Continuing on, most of the traffic lights in that whole area were out, so there was a sense of anarchy. Very discomforting.

Seeing Ryan was great. He really made me laugh like I haven't laughed in a long time. I've been simmering in my own insecurities and self-doubt and there's nothing like an old friend to wash all of that away. He's doing well, I'm doing well, he's going to come visit and maybe take some of us flying! A "warm fuzzy" of an evening. I really needed that. And I'm glad to be going home this weekend; I could really use some quiet and cleanliness. People who believe in me when I can't/won't believe in myself, who cleanse my spirit of the poison that runs through my veins at times. I really need people like that in my life. That is my ground zero.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Are Human

The Clear Light of Day

Trimming the Fat