Hooray for Google

One of the perks of living in Silicon Valley is getting free wireless access from one of the big companies. This means I can go to any cafe here and get access (and not have to pay Starbucks' ridiculous charges, unless they manage to manipulate the system). I could even check my email at a traffic light (not that I would, obviously) if I wanted to!

I'm upstairs at my favorite cafe--the one at which I studied furiously my last quarter at Foothill before transferring--studying furiously because I have lots to do. My dad wants to go to a movie; I really hope I have the time to accomodate him, it just seems ridiculous to have to sacrifice real life yet again for school. In other news, I feel optimistic about getting a job and having a good life after graduation. I do want more education, but I want to work for a few years, pay off all my debt, and get a taste of the real world first. When people ask whom I'm inviting to graduation, I like to say "everyone I've ever met," because the sense of pride and triumph and success is so overwhelming, after all I've been through--and my family--to get here. My doctors will get a special section, marked "El Camino Hospital" and "Stanford University Medical Center," and we'll have to separate the Psychiatry and Dermatology departments to keep them from bickering. No, I'm kidding of course, but it's nice to finally have a graduation date to joke about.

When Kim Basinger won her Oscar several years ago, she was overcome with emotion and said something like "I want to thank everyone I've ever met in my entire life!" That's how I feel when I think about graduating, that everyone I've ever met deserves thanks and acknowledgement because this whole ordeal has been monumental--the years, the expense, the suffering, the loss, the heartbreak, etc., etc. for everyone involved. Everyone I know is so ridiculously happy for me, especially those closest to me because they know just how hard it's been. I really wish I could invite all of them. My mom says that whenever she talks to a friend or neighbor or colleague or family member, they ask about me, and are just so happy to hear about my progress. It's music to everyone's ears.

To say that this has been a team effort would be a gross understatement. Dr. Anhalt sees my parents "not infrequently," he says, and all they talk about is how well I'm doing and how happy they are about it. Seeing him is such a shot in the arm; he's a real mood-booster. He gives me a big hug and makes me feel loved and appreciated; his encouragement is absolutely unwavering, as is his belief in me. He says I'm "the woman" and told some funny "knock knock" jokes. I'll bet he's great with kids.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Are Human

The Clear Light of Day

Trimming the Fat